The Cultures and Bodies project aims to develop a network of Malawian, Tanzanian and UK researchers, artists, local communities, health workers, third sector organisations and policymakers with the aim of using community arts-based approaches to non-communicable disease prevention (e.g. high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes) in Malawi and Tanzania.
In 2018 and 2019, the team will be working together in both countries to:
- find out what the risk factors for these diseases are by analysing data from population surveys
- summarise what is already know about arts and health promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa
- work with local communities to understand how to use community arts to explore experiences of disease and disease risk
- work with local communities to design arts activities to encourage people to improve their lifestyles
- chart these methods to produce new guidance so that other researchers and practitioners can follow the same approach.
During this time, we hope to engage other people and organisations who are interested in this approach to join our network. If you are interested in finding out more about the network, please email email@example.com
- The project is providing both time and space for researchers from the medical and social sciences, and arts and humanities in the UK, Malawi and Tanzania to work closely with our NGO and artist partners, and local communities to develop unique interdisciplinary knowledge, understanding, skills and methodologies to inform culturally-relevant NCD prevention initiatives in Malawi and Tanzania.